Friday, January 14, 2011

"Cogito ergo sum"

'I think therefore I am'
                                                                     -Rene Descartes

ermm find out the meaning!..and this is my 1st assignment for class Design History, that i have to discuss in this blog sharing the opinion with u all. Before that i would like to say 10q to my lecturer Pn Suzy for make this good ideas 'by creating ur own blog to make an assignment'!..very challenging for me for the 1st time using this T___T huhu..but i 'll try my best to fulfill this assignment and hopping that it was work n successful hehehe...


In 18th century, what was i understand in The Age of Enlightenment, it was a series of philosophical, scientific and otherwise intellectual developments that took place mostly in the 18th century – the birthplace of intellectual modernity. So for me 'cogito ergo sum'  only serves to prove the existence of that which is thinking and nothing else, in what case he is right, for if not there could be no object to be deceived. Im not sure if i right or not but how he words it is unfortunate. It is the consciousness of consciousness that enables us to be aware of our existence in such a manner that Descartes set to prove to exist, rather than just the consciousness.

One of article that we can share;
Dorinda Outram provides a good example of a standard, intellectual definition of the Enlightenment:
Enlightenment was a desire for human affairs to be guided by rationality rather than by faith, superstition, or revelation; a belief in the power of human reason to change society and liberate the individual from the restraints of custom or arbitrary authority; all backed up by a world view increasingly validated by science rather than by religion or tradition.

There were lots info that we can share together, see in next issues...;)

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget the Descartes-Neil Diamond extension "I think therefore I am I said"

    ReplyDelete